Vision: Better Teachers. Better Students. Better World through science literacy.
Mission: To empower teachers by providing modules that bridge the gap between the theory and the practice of STEM education.
Dr. Yvonne A. Kielhorn is founder of Why Science. Dr. Kielhorn is a high school science teacher who has extensive Research & Development experience in Academia, Industry and Government spanning more than 20 years. Her scientific and leadership abilities have been recognized by multiple research, education and entrepreneurship awards. She holds a Ph.D. in Polymer Science & Engineering from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst (Amherst, MA) and a B. A. in Chemistry (High Honors) and Physics from Smith, College (Northampton, MA).
Awards & Honors:
- 2014 CTNext Entrepreneur Innovation Award
- 2012 CT Small Business Incubation Program Award
- Women of Innovation 2012, 2013 and 2014 Entrepreneurship and Leadership Finalist
- Connecticut Technology Council 2010, 2011 and 2012 Technology Company to Watch
- Connecticut Small Business Development Center 2009 Achiever Award
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 2007 Martin Luther King Faculty/Staff Award for faculty and staff engaged in activities fostering academic excellence and leadership skills in minority students
- National Nanotechnology Initiative 2005 Early Career Scientist Scholarship Winner X-ray and Neutron Scattering
- Paul W. Schmidt Award 2000 Small-Angle Methods and Applied Small-Angle Scattering
Engage with our team of certified teachers, business professionals, engineers and scientists to increase teacher confidence and student achievement in science. We offer hands-on and minds-on workshops as well as consulting services for schools. As consultants to your school, we assess your learning environment, and present a plan on how to design high achieving, dynamic STEM teaching and learning experiences. Our team will work closely with you to achieve all of your goals.
Featured Module Library: