“As a Science Teacher and Educational Consultant, I am always looking for new tools that make it easier for teachers to provide effective and engaging lessons and learning environments for their students. Why Science accomplishes that, and it is easy to use. Within a 2- hour professional development session, a teacher will be able to use the Why Science platform to create and teach lessons. Teachers will have learned numerous ways to engage students – through interactive animated characters and a framework that facilitates students’ continual learning. It also saves teachers’ time and enables them to monitor students’ ongoing progress. If you want to raise the quality of online learning for your students, I highly recommend this workshop.”
- Dr. Dorothea Panayotou, Science Teacher and Educational Consultant.
“Dr. Kielhorn is a highly qualified teacher and trainer. Her teacher training programs are very effective and useful for someone who is looking to transition into instructional design. I have worked with her in a teaching environment and have observed first hand her practical knowledge and expertise in successfully being able to set up and implement online learning modules for her students. She deeply values giving her students the best education they need by strictly adhering to common core and high educational standards. As an instructor, if you are looking to improve the quality of online learning for your own students, I highly recommend taking her professional development workshops.”
- Serkan Kabak, High School Science and Math Teacher
"I think the program [Why Science Modules] is excellent. I think the main thing is that students are working with students. “The most important thing about Why Science is the resources … Its just not one thing. For example there’s a library, page, a tools page. [The resources] prompts and guides and help students feel comfortable figuring out how to write a hypothesis for a proposed problem. With freshmen you have to breakdown every little detail. So it gives you many resources and it saves so much paper.”
Source: Business New Haven
- Karen Beitler, High School Science Teacher
Suddenly, we had to shift all of our teaching online. As a fellow CSTA and NSTA member, Dr. Kielhorn, Founder of Why Science and a CT certified science teacher, understands this challenge. For the past eight years, the award-winning Why Science Platform, she created and developed, has been used to teach highly interactive science lessons online.
Professional Development Benefits
Learning by doing experiences completed in two hours or less.
Ensures quality of learning experiences for every participant is aligned with NGSS recommendations for professional development.
Teacher training aligned with all components of the National Standards for Quality Online Courses (NSQOC)
Requires minimal administrator to implement.
Tools to be able to gain further, self-paced professional development.
Teacher Benefits of a Why Science Online Professional Development Workshop:
- Knowledge and confidence for improving the quality of online learning of science for your students.
- Gain practical experience identifying, evaluating, and accessing the three dimensions of NGSS (DCIs, SEPs, & CCCs) with model online science learning modules.
- Gain practical experience discerning what makes phenomena effective that leads to student learning.
- Gain knowledge of how to create effective storylines.
- Experience how 3D learning for NGSS occurs naturally when course content is aligned with both NGSS and technology standards for online courses.
- Space is limited to ensure a personalized experience.
- Certificate of Workshop Participation from Why Science.
- Certification of Workshop Completion from Why Science, when a portfolio built during the workshop, is completed and submitted up to 7 days after the workshop.
If you want to improve the quality of online learning in your classroom kindly register for a workshop below: