On National Teacher Day, thousands of communities take time to honor their local educators and acknowledge the crucial role teachers play in making sure every student receives a quality education. Why Science, an education technology company, is celebrating teachers by featuring a series articles on the use of technology to improve student outcomes.
Technology is dramatically altering K-12 education, but integrating digital tools into instruction can be challenging for educators. Balancing digital innovation and academic accountability is a tricky task for schools – one that is fraught with worries about what will work and what won’t. This first article of our Teacher Appreciation series explores the struggles schools face as they seek to balance digital innovation and accountability.
This is a wonderful read and we strongly encourage you all to take a look. When Superintendent Mark Edwards and his school district introduced a one-to-one laptop to student policy they expected a small performance dip for the first few years as students and educators become acclimated to the new tools and the programs.
In three years, the district went from ranking 30th in the state in school performance measurements to fourth, and Edwards says he is gunning for first place this year.
- National Education Association National Teacher Day Website
- National Teachers Day Honors America’s Teachers (NEA Today)
- NEA President Dennis Van Roekel thanks his high school Math teacher and high school English teacher. (Video)
Our Learning System
- Forbes.com article highlights new venture inspired by Why Science
- Celebrate the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King
- Test-Drive Why Science Learning System at 2013 CSTA Conference in Hamden, CT
- New Haven School Change Gets $11M Boost from Feds
- Planning Begun for 2014 Citywide Science Fair to Enhance NYC Student Interest and Performance in STEM Subjects