Talented Interns Wanted
If you have the passion and the time, become a Why Science Intern today!
Why Science delivers education technologies focused on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) learning. Our company creates customized technology learning solutions and educational workshops that utilize our existing technological and educational know-how to help deliver effective learning outcomes. Our 2.0 e-platform Poly & Mer enters classrooms in 2012. All of our programs and workshops are highly focused on providing all our participants with a meaningful process for ongoing problem solving skills while utilizing a hands-on & minds-on process.
Have a passion for STEM? We want you!
We’re looking for several great interns to help us on our mission. Don’t worry. This isn’t an internship where you’ll be bored. We have some ambitious goals with some tight deadlines. So, yes, you get to work on real projects unlike other internships. You’ll learn more in 3 or 6 months than you ever imagined possible. We’re hoping to convert this lot of interns into full-time employees. This is your rare opportunity to be part of the next big thing in science education.
We are currently seeking Part Time Interns in the following key areas:
E-learning Developer/Instructional Designer/Developer
The primary purpose of the Instructional Designer/Developer is to apply sound instruction design methodology to the development of e-learning and classroom-based courses. Proven experience working with subject matter expects, translating their training requirements into engaging and effective courses required.
- Incorporating Instructional design process methodology to curriculum including: analysis of the audience, job tasks, the development of design documents, curriculum maps, storyboards, flowcharts, performance objectives, testing strategies and learning activities.
- Develop project requirements during the analysis phase and develop specific project scope requirements, including learning architecture, learning objectives, course outline, functional specifications and project plans including cost estimates, milestones and schedule.
- Develop project design document and storyboards and ensure that all deliverables meet requirements set forth in design document.
- Review, evaluate and modify existing training materials and develop new material to support identified training needs and solutions.
- Act as subject matter expert (SME) and/or collaborate with SME’s and other team members to develop learning content, assessment questions and manage the overall content development process.
- Must have hands-on experience in strategic issue analysis and scenario planning, including structured problem solving in a complex and uncertain business environment.
- Must be a self-starter, with the ability to work autonomously toward pre-defined objectives and to adapt to changing requirements and ad-hoc requests.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, including strong communication skills to frequently interface with all management levels of the company; must be able to move from complex situations and problems to well-articulated and well-supported recommendations or conclusions.
- Fluency in both verbal and written business communications required, including strong writing skills and effective oral presentation skills to present to executive-level management.
- Strong working knowledge of e-learning software packages such as Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, Photoshop, and Articulate
- Knowledge of audio and video files formats, management, and cataloging (Previous experience designing e-Learning programs).
- In-depth knowledge of instructional design principles, practices and adult-learning theory
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to convert information and business needs into sequenced web-based training materials.
- Proven ability to develop detailed scripts, storyboards, training content and tools.
- Superior writing skills including the ability to write concise, creative, and effective instructional materials.
- Familiarity with user interface and graphic design elements appropriate for online instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, and produce high-quality results with minimal ramp-up time.
- Ability to work both as a collaborative team member and independently.
- Must be self-starter with ability to drive the project’s process.
Graduate students pursing degrees in Education are encouraged to apply. A background in physics, engineering, and/or business is a plus.
Marketing & Sales Intern
The Marketing and Sales Intern will play a key role in implementing Why Science’s marketing strategy, by participating in marketing, advertising, and outreach activities aimed at helping us build a presence in the science and math education markets. Specific duties include:
- Event marketing and coordination, research, circulation support, database administration, updating the online media kit and newsletters, and various other projects
- Event planning and facilitation
- Presentation development
- Internet data mining, email marketing and database management
- Article marketing
- Joint venture partnerships and affiliate marketing
- Audio and video production and editing
Requirements: Proficiency in MS Office a must, as is the ability to be a self starter with the ability to work effectively alone. HTML experience a plus, as is experience with social media marketing. The best candidates for this position will have an interest in pursuing a career in publishing, radio, and television, and will have previous volunteer or internship experience under their belt. A bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years work experience is a plus!
Product Development Intern
The Product Development Intern will play a key role in implementing Why Science’s R&D strategy, by participating in:
- Conducting market and product research
- Contributing to layout and package design
- Coordinating packaging and fulfillment activities
Requirements: Proficiency in MS Office a must, as is the ability to be a self starter with the ability to work effectively alone. Programming/HTML experience a plus. The best candidates for this position will have an interest in pursuing a career in software and/or R&D. Previous volunteer or internship experience preferred. A bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years work experience is a plus!
Social Media & Communications Intern
The Social Media & Communications Intern will play a key role in implementing Why Science’s communications strategy by writing and disseminating copy across a wide variety of distribution vehicles, including the Why Science website and social media outlets. Specific duties include:
- Copy writing and editing for various vehicles, including email, social media, blog, website, and newsletters
- Works with the communications team to develop and implement a social media presence
- Stays abreast of trends and developments in social media marketing and recommends new approaches and platforms for the organization
- Ensures timely communication and promotion regarding Peer Network events
- Coordinates production and pre-production for Why Science webinars
Requirements: Strong writing, verbal communications, and interpersonal social skills required, as is experience and savvy using social networking tools. Previous experience in publishing a plus.
To be considered for these part time paid positions, please note the position you are applying for and submit a cover letter detailing your availability, a resume, and two writing samples to:
Dr. Yvonne A. Akpalu