This year, 2012, will go down in history as the year Earth Day was celebrated by more people around the globe because of technology. At Why Science we celebrated Earth Day by exploring issues pertaining to the unintended consequences of technology on the environment by publishing a series of articles on the potential and drawbacks of plastics. The future does look bright. With nature’s help, we will develop technologies to eliminate landfill waste.
In the meantime we invite you to explore these resources below which we have enjoyed as part of our Earth Day celebrations.
1. Read “We All Are Implicated“, by Award Winning Essayist, Novelist, and Poet Wendell Berry Laments a Disconnection from Community and the Land (Chronicle of Higher Education)
2. Watch the PBS program below “Earth: The Operators Manual” to learn more about Earth’s climate history and our future energy options.
3. Watch to learn what actually happens to materials you recycle by watching this American Chemical Society video “Beyond the blue bins: The journey of recyclable materials“.
4. Learn about the unintended consequences of technology on the environment from these posts on the Why Science Blog:
- Earth Day Spotlight: Eliminating Landfill Waste. The Future Looks Bright.
- Earth Day Spotlight: Bioplastics. Key to a Secure & Sustainable Energy Future or Threat to Food Supply?
- Earth Day Spotlight: The Plastic Waste Problem in Our Oceans
- Earth Day Spotlight: All Life is Connected
- Greening STEM: The Environment as Inspiration for 21st Century Learning