The primary driver of the future economy and concomitant creation of jobs will be innovation, largely derived from advances in science and engineering. . . . 4 percent of the nation’s workforce is composed of scientists and engineers; this group disproportionately creates jobs for the other 96 percent.

– NRC  Report, Successful K-12 STEM Education, 2011

The National Research Council recently released a report recommending ways communities can improve K–12 STEM education. This report, written in the spirit of the 1996 National Science Education standards calls on stakeholders at the local, state and federal levels to consider holistic approaches to education by making schools accountable for student performance in reading, writing, math and science. In effect, schools will have to raise science education to the same level as math and reading!

The report offers five proposals for schools and districts to improve K–12 education:

  • Consider all three models of STEM-focused schools described in the report to improve STEM outcomes.
  • Devote adequate instructional time and resources to science in grades K–5.
  • Ensure that STEM curricula are focused on the most important topics in each discipline, are rigorous, and are articulated as a sequence of topics and performances.
  • Enhance the capacity of K–12 teachers.
  • Provide instructional leaders with professional development that helps them to create the school conditions that appear to support student achievement.

At Why Science we are excited to see a National Research Council report  which validates our  strategy & approach for increasing student achievement in our nation’s schools.

Click on the links below to learn more:

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Modules | About | Privacy | Contact

Copyright © 2009-17 WHY SCIENCE. All Rights Reserved. Property of WHY SCIENCE.
The WHY SCIENCE Logo is a registered service mark of WHY SCIENCE.
All other trademarks and registered trademarks are properties of their respective owners.